1 year online executive MBA programs are suitable programs for students who want to further their studies in the business field but want to stay in their jobs.
These programs are suitable for students that love to study virtually.
Students can study these programs in the comfort of their homes without having to visit the campus for classes.
You can perfectly maintain your job while still undergoing this program.
In this article, I shall carefully explain everything you need to know about 1 year online executive MBA programs and how to get the best out of them.
What is an Executive MBA?
An Executive MBA (EMBA) is a graduate-level business degree program that is designed for experienced professionals in the business field who are looking to advance their skill in leadership.
EMBA programs are specialized aspect of MBA. It focuses mainly on the leadership aspect of MBA rather than the broad areas. Executive MBA are mostly part-time programs.
Executive MBA programs are for people who wish to add more skills and knowledge in their workplace to have a broader network and widen their global perspective.
Is an Executive MBA the Same as an MBA?
While MBA is for people that are in the early stage of their business career or those that want to transition to a new field, Executive MBA is for experienced professionals who are looking to advance to leadership positions.
But in general sense, executive MBA is not necessarily superior to MBA. Both are very essentially business degree.
The difference you could experience here is that, EMBA programs focus more on practical skills and leadership development, while MBA programs focus on broader skills and cover different areas of business.
What is the Difference Between an MBA and an Executive MBA?
The difference between an MBA and an Executive MBA (EMBA) is the mode of program, the professionalism, and the target audience.
Some of the outstanding differences between MBA and EMBA are shown below:
- Career Differences: MBA programs are for people that are in the early stage of their career or those that want to transition to a new field while EMBA programs are for experienced professionals who are looking to advance to leadership positions.
- Study Schedule Differences: EMBA programs are mostly part-time while MBA programs are typically full-time
- Skills Differences: EMBA programs focus more on practical skills and leadership development, while MBA programs focus on broader skills and cover different areas of business.
- Adaptive Differences: It’s tough to maintain a job while undergoing an MBA program while the Executive MBA programs make it easier for students to work and study
Is an Executive MBA important?
Yes! If you are looking at advancing your business skills and growing your business career to leadership positions, then executive MBA will be very important in achieving that.
An Executive MBA can also be important for individuals who want to transition to a new career too because EMBA can provide valuable skills that is applicable in other fields.
EMBA is also important if you want a more specialized field and also want to increase your chances of securing managerial jobs with huge salaries.
How Many Years is Executive MBA?
It takes about 12 (1 year) to 24 months to complete an online executive MBA program.
But in general sense, there’s no fixed or specific duration for an Executive MBA programs that is same across institutions.
Executive MBA programs duration varies across institutions, but generally, it will take between a year or two.
What is Executive MBA salary?
The average salary for someone with an Executive MBA degree is $145,000 per year.
Below is a table that shows the average salaries for different job positions for people with EMBA degree:
|Job Positions||Salary Range||Average Yearly Salary|
|Chief Executive Officer (CEO)||$106k – $400k||$205k|
|Chief Financial Officer (CFO)||$106k – $246k||$163k|
|Chief Operating Officer (COO)||$104k – $289k||$181k|
|Director of Operations||$89k – $193k||$133k|
|Executive President||$119k – $288k||$189k|
|Marketing Director||$80k – $179k||$122k|
|Executive Director||$72k – $238k||$126k|
|Vice President (VP) Operations||$105k – $223k||$157k|
|Information Technology (IT) Director||$118k – $200k||$158k|
|Project Manager||$70k – $145k||$103k|
|Operations Manager||$63k – $159k||$101k|
|Finance Director||$94k – $172k||$134k|
|Vice President (VP) Marketing||$117k – $216k||$164k|
|Vice President (VP) Sales||$114k – $222k||$161k|
Source: PayScale.com as of March 2023
List of 1-year Executive MBA Online with Certificates
Below is a list of some online certificate Executive MBA (EMBA) programs that can be completed within a 1-year duration with their entry requirements:
- Executive Master of Business Administration (MBA) by Ascencia Business School
- Executive Master in Business Administration and Management (MBA) – Specialty in Health Management
- Executive MBA Online by EAE | Programas Distancia
- Executive Master of Business Administration by IU International University of Applied Sciences
- Online Executive MBA Coaching Mentoring and Leadership by York St. John University (UK)
- EMBA (Master of Business Administration) by Caldwell University Online
- Executive Master of Business Administration by Dakota Wesleyan University Online
1. Executive Master of Business Administration (MBA) by Ascencia Business School
The Ascencia Business School sets itself apart from other online Executive MBA programs with its significant teaching experience.
This MBA program is online and certified by the Répertoire national des certifications professionnelles (National directory of professional certifications).
Students can access the online program through the United Arab Emirates government website.
Business experts and many resources are available for students to help them cover all necessary aspects and become assets to the public.
Students can choose from the 8 specializations, which includes:
- Executive MBA in Entrepreneurship
- EMBA in Finance
- MBA in Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Executive MBA in Healthcare Management
- MBA in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
- EMBA in Project Management
- Executive MBA in Marketing
- MBA in Human Resource Management.
The only criteria for admission are having a bachelor’s degree and 5 years of working experience as a professional.
Course link: Visit course here
2. Executive Master in Business Administration and Management (MBA) – Specialty in Health Management
This online EMBA program is from IMF Smart Education to train professionals in the skills and knowledge needed to take management and administrative roles in the healthcare industry.
The program is limited to significant areas of healthcare and other areas like logistics, finance, marketing, human resources, quality, strategic planning, etc.
At the end of the program, students can better understand how the healthcare system works, the ethics and responsibilities, and the need to know all health models.
This MBA program is online, and all contents and training materials are available at the virtual campus.
However, each coursework comes with self-assessment exercises that will help students measure their success during the program.
Course link: visit course here
3. Executive MBA Online by EAE | Programas Distancia
The Escuela de Administración de Empresas (Business Administration School) or EAE, designed an online Executive MBA program to expand students’ knowledge in business management.
This program is flexible but competent in the knowledge and skills applied.
At the end of the program, students will be at the forefront of the economic scene with significant innovations to change management and administration models.
There are seasoned experts to provide future managers and entrepreneurs with the tools and knowledge needed to change the business world positively.
Students will also receive a double Master’s in Business Administration and Management – MBA from the University of Barcelona-IL3 and EAE Business School.
The program is 100% online, but students can require one-to-one tutorials with an expert.
4. Executive Master of Business Administration by IU International University of Applied Sciences
This 60-credit online Executive MBA program is for students wishing to develop skills and become analyzers of markets and competitions and even developers of new business trends and ideas.
The program is recommended for people wanting to enter entrepreneurship or take up leadership roles.
Students who take this online course can specialize and become senior brand managers, consultants, or business development managers.
Some of the fantastic things about this program are that you can start at any time, you do not have to wait for a new semester to start; also, and you can choose to start your exams anytime you are fully ready.
Requirements for admission include a bachelor’s degree with at least a C grade from any accredited institution, 240 credits from previous courses, and 1 year of professional work experience.
5. Online Executive MBA Coaching Mentoring and Leadership by York St. John University (UK)
This online program will enable students to develop critical coaching, reflective mentoring, and leadership skills that benefit any work setting.
Leadership, coaching, and mentoring are some of the essential activities of management, so the program will provide ample opportunities for students to develop these skills and techniques.
This online MBA program is slated to last for 1 year, although students can take up to three years for part-time study mode.
The teaching method is 100% online with an intensive class discussion. At the end of the program, students will get a degree from York St John University.
6. EMBA (Master of Business Administration) by Caldwell University Online
This online program is for business professionals who must develop business skills and broaden their knowledge.
The program is 100% online and can be taken anywhere and at any time; students do not need to visit the campus or abandon their work. The school allows students to apply for the program at least six times a year.
The program’s curricula include financial management, strategic human resource management, global business management, accounting for managers, advanced business strategy, operations and project management, and others.
You must have a bachelor’s degree in business management or any relevant course to be considered for admission.
Applicants without bachelor’s degrees will take prerequisite coursework: Accounting 1 & Survey of Economics.
7. Executive Master of Business Administration by Dakota Wesleyan University Online
This MBA program by the online arm of Dakota Wesleyan University will help teach students the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in small-scale and larger businesses.
The program is tailored to serve students while teaching them entrepreneurial and strategic leadership skills.
Students can customize this program to meet their daily schedule as it is online. There is no need to visit the campus; you can take the course anywhere and anytime.
Admission requirements include a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a 2.75 GPA.
List of 15 Schools with 1 Year Executive MBA Online Programs
Below is a list of 15 reputable schools that offer 1 year executive MBA online programs in 2023:
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- Howard University
- Marquette University
- Loyola University
- University of Virginia
- University of Hawaii
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- The University of Texas
- Washington State University
- Florida International University
- The University of Alabama
- University of Missouri
- Colorado State University
- University of Arkansas
- Texas Southern University
FAQs About Online Executive MBA Programs
Can I do PhD after Executive MBA?
It possible and even easier to pursue a PhD after completing an Executive MBA program. You can actually pursue a PhD after completing an Executive MBA.
But to be eligible for any PhD program after completing your Executive MBA, you must meet the admission requirements of the PhD program and the institution you are applying to.
Meanwhile, some PhD programs and schools may require more than just your EMBA. So it’s important to check the specific PhD program you are interested in to determine their prerequisites.
Is MBA in Executive MBA Worth it?
Yes… An Executive MBA program is worth it especially if you channel it to the right career path.
An Executive MBA can be beneficial if you want to advance your career to higher-level and more advanced positions and gain a broader perspective on business leadership.
Some potential reasons why an Executive MBA worth it are:
- Advancement opportunities: An Executive MBA can help you
- Developed skills and knowledge to move higher in the corporate ladder and take on more challenging roles.
- Can increase networking skills
- Create an opportunity to build relationships with other experienced professionals in your field
- Increase the chances of future job opportunities.
- Executive MBA programs are suitable for working professionals
- The program has flexible schedules
- It increases your salary potential
- Generally, Executive MBA degree holders can earn higher salaries than those without.
Does Harvard have Executive MBA?
Yes, Harvard Business School offers an Executive MBA program. The Harvard EMBA program is designed for experienced professionals who are looking to advance their skills for business leadership positions.
The Harvard Executive MBA program is a part-time program. The program takes about 18-24 months to complete.
What are the Disadvantages of Executive MBA?
Well, EMBA programs have very minor disadvantages which can be easily overlooked. In generally cases, the MBA program might have the following disadvantages:
- High cost of tuition
- Intensive workload
- Time commitment required to complete the program
Note: Executive MBA programs do not directly have any academic disadvantage if you have a goal you’re aiming at and if you channel your pursuit to the right industries.
Is Executive MBA considered as Masters?
Yes… An Executive MBA is considered a Master’s degree program in business administration. An EMBA is a just a variation on traditional MBA degree programs.
The Executive Master’s of Business Administration(EMBA) is more like an advanced and more specific level of Master’s of Business Administration(MBA) that is designed specially for mid-career executive professionals.
Is Executive MBA Harder than MBA?
Executive MBA programs are often more intensive due to the fact that students are allowed to work full-time while completing the program which leads to high workload.
In that case, the workload will be high and that might make it a bit harder for students who cannot survive or manage heavy workload.
Meanwhile, it’s difficult to specifically state if an Executive MBA is harder than an MBA because both programs have different curriculums, are targeted at different students and have different focuses.
Is Executive MBA good or bad?
Executive MBA is good and it’s a variation on MBA. But the how beneficial it will be to you will depends on your specific career goals.
If you are actually looking at advancing your leadership positions in the business field, then an Executive MBA will be good for you as it will provide valuable skills, knowledge, and networking opportunities.
What is the Benefit of Executive MBA?
There are many field benefits of getting an Executive MBA degree. Such benefits include:
- Development of valuable skills and knowledge
- Creating networking opportunities,
- Advancing to leadership positions
- Transition to a new career or industry
- Handling managerial positions
- Increment in job salaries
Why Executive MBA is better than MBA?
An Executive MBA may be considered more important better than an MBA because of the following reasons;
- EMBA is suitable for experienced professionals who are looking to advance to leadership and managerial positions in business firms
- Executive MBA programs are mostly part-time which allow students to work and study at the same time unlike MBA programs that are full-time
- EMBA programs focus more on practical skills and leadership development
Why not to do an Executive MBA?
There are many reasons why one might not want to do an EMBA. Some of the reasons you shouldn’t do an Executive MBA are:
- If you are not interested in advancing your career in a leadership role,
- If you won’t have enough time to complete the program
- If you can’t combine work and studies
- If you don’t have the required financial
- If you are not interested in networking opportunities
- If you don’t want the practical skills that an Executive MBA can provide
Getting an MBA program is one step to building your career and showing your readiness to take up leadership, management, and administrative roles in the business world.
Each program is 100% online and slated to last for a year. You can fix your schedule to accommodate your classes and take your exams anytime.