Universities in China that Accept Second class lower for Masters

While doing Master’s with a second class lower may be difficult in other countries, there are many universities in China that accept Second class lower for masters which make it easier for graduates with 2nd class lower to do their M.Sc.

What you’re about to see will serve the purpose of educating you on the Chinese universities that accept second class for masters degree programs.

The good news to start with is that China has so many universities that accept not only students with First Class and Second Class Upper but also those with Second Class Lower.

A quick notice:

It’s important to know that some Master’s programs in China are (course-based), while others are based on research by students. Generally, your program is what determines which method of study you will go for.

Most of the programs and universities I will list here teach students using the English Language, and the study period is between 2 to 3 years.

The Degree Grading System in China

The first thing to know is that the Chinese grading system for university degrees is different from the system used in some English speaking countries like the United States, the United Kingdom, Nigeria and so on.

A second class lower degree student that got admission to do masters in China

In China, the grading scale for university degrees is typically based on a scale of 0 to 100, with 60 being the minimum passing grade. Some Chinese universities also use different grading systems like pass/fail.

Additionally, some Chinese universities also use a weighted grading system, in which certain courses are given more importance in the overall GPA calculation while others use a more traditional grading scale.

What is the minimum CGPA requirement for Masters in China?

Generally, most Chinese universities in require a minimum CGPA of 3.0 or equivalent on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent in the applicant’s previous degree.

But for some universities, they accept something even lower.  As such, the minimum CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average) requirement for admission to a Master’s program in China varies across different Chinese universities and programs.

One thing you should know is that, China has become a very popular country which has made a lot of international students show interest in studying there.

The after affect of that is that, the higher the competition, the more difficult it is to gain admission into this high profile universities in China.

Can you do a Masters in China with a second class lower degree?


In some Chinese universities, a second class lower degree may be considered sufficient for admission to a Master’s program and in some, it is not.

In addition to the CGPA requirement, some Chinese universities have additional eligibility requirements for admission to a Master’s program which can enable those who meet the requirements but have low GPA to stand a chance of admissions.

Some of such eligibility requirements include but are not limited to the following:

  • English language proficiency test scores
  • Research proposal
  • Letters of recommendation
  • Personal statement

Most times, Chinese universities only consider applicants with a second class lower degree for admission provided they meet eligibility criteria like;

  • Relevant work experience
  • Strong letters of recommendation
  • Compelling personal statement.

International students may also have to provide additional documentation, such as a copy of their passport, health certificate, and academic transcripts.

List of 9 Universities in China that accept Second class lower for Masters 2023

A student showing other students the list of universities in China that accept Second class lower

Below is a list of the top 9 Chinese universities that accept students with second class lower degree for master’s programs in 2023:

  1. Tsinghua University (THU)
  2. Tongji University (TongJU)
  3. Shandong University (SDU)
  4. University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB)
  5. The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST)
  6. China University of Mining and Technology
  7. Guangxi University of Finance and Economics
  8. Harbin University of Finance (Harbin Finance University)
  9. Northwest University of Political Science and Law (NWUPL

1. Tsinghua University (THU)

This university was established in 1911 and has been dedicated to achieving academic excellence and global development.

Tsinghua University (THU) offers a Masters’s program known as Tsinghua-INSEAD Executive MBA (TIEMBA). The program lasts for 22 months and is only for international students.

You can choose to do the program at any of their campuses in Singapore, Abu Dhabi, Fontainebleau (France), and Tsinghua’s campus in Beijing.

Requirements and Documents Needed

Tsinghua University (THU) requires some documents like:

  • Your passport
  • Graduation certificate
  • Passport photograph
  • Highest academic transcript
  • English Language certificate
  • Recommendation letter
  • Financial guarantor certificate
  • Research proposal
  • Personal statement
  • Medical examination certificate
  • Non-criminal record certificate

Official website: To start the application process, visit their official website here

2. Tongji University (TongJU)

This university offers a Masters’s program – Master’s in Global Management. It lasts for two years and is meant for international students.

Tongji University has existed for over 100 years with a strong reputation, quality research, and the best learning environment.

The link to the school’s official website can be seen here. You can visit it for more details and how to go about your admission process.

TongJU Requirements

The documents required to be admitted are:

  • Curriculum vitae.
  • Passport copy.
  • Project proposal.
  • First and second recommendation letters.
  • English Language certificate.
  • Non-criminal record certificate.
  • Medical examination certificate.
  • Passport photograph.
  • English graduation certificate.
  • Highest academic transcript.

3. Shandong University (SDU)

Shandong University offers Masters’s programs that run between two to three years with reputable and well-acclaimed tutors and researchers with top-quality facilities.


To be eligible for application into any of the Master’s programs, you must present:

  • A passport
  • Bachelor’s degree certificate or pre-graduation certification
  • Academic transcripts
  • Two recommendation letters
  • A letter of motivation in English or Chinese
  • English Language certificate
  • Physical examination certificate
  • No criminal conviction certificate
  • Statement of financial support

Official website: To start the application process, visit the official website here

4. University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB)

Located in Haidian District, Beijing, the University of Science and Technology Beijing has many Masters’s programs for both local and international students who have Bachelor’s degrees, including First and Second Classes.

Every Masters’s student is required to spend between 2-3 years before getting a graduation certificate along with the Master’s degree.

Specific requirements are needed, including applicants who must be under 40 and have HSK 5 for Chinese medium programs.

Other Requirements

  • Personal statement
  • Official transcripts
  • Two recommendation letters
  • Passport photograph
  • Health certificate
  • No criminal record
  • Letter of financial guarantee
  • HSK 5 for Chinese-Medium Programs
  • English Proficiency certificate for English-Medium Programs.

Official website: For more information on the application process, you can check out their official website here

5. The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST)

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is known globally for both course-based and research-based Masters’s programs. These programs last for two years.

The admission requirements include a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a recognized institution, an English Proficiency certificate, a passport photograph, passport, official transcripts, a recommendation letter, a personal statement, a medical examination certificate, and others.

Official website:  Visit the school’s official website here to learn more and to start the application process.

6. China University of Mining and Technology

The China University of Mining and Technology has existed since 1901 and currently offers 35 Masters’s programs. It is a public institution under China’s Ministry of Education administration.

You need documents like a passport, notary-stamped copies of academic degree certificates and testimonials, no criminal conviction certificate, and a medical examination certificate. There are also other secondary documents required.

Official website: The school’s official website here, is available for you to gather more information on how to apply.

7. Guangxi University of Finance and Economics

Guangxi University of Finance and Economics has top-quality teachers and modern facilities to help achieve the goal of giving high-quality education. There are undergraduate, postgraduate, and international student programs.

There are documents required during the application process, including a valid passport, Bachelor’s degree or equivalent certificate, academic transcripts, study proposal, and two recommendation letters.

Official website: The official website shown here has other information you may need to apply.

8. Harbin University of Finance (Harbin Finance University)

Ranked 890th in the country, Harbin University of Finance offers 5 Masters’s programs – Accounting, Business, Finance and Banking, International relations, and Taxation.


You will need an application fee, resúme, TOEFL certificate, valid student visa, research or study proposal, health and life insurance, IELTS certificate, financial support guarantee, passport photograph, and passport.

Official website: You can visit the official website here

9. Northwest University of Political Science and Law (NWUPL

This public university is one of the top law schools and ranked 192nd in China. The Masters’s programs last 3 to 5 years and students are awarded a graduation certificate and a master’s degree.

Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree certificate, valid passport, Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) Level 5, non-criminal record certificate, academic transcripts, two recommendation letters, physical examination record, and financial support guarantee.

Official website: You can get other information from the official website here

Bottom Line

Having a Second Class Lower does not mean you cannot go for a Masters’s program, and some universities in China accept students with this score.

While some universities have English-Medium Programs for international students who are Non-Chinese, others have only Chinese-Medium Programs.

Schools who offer only Chinese-Medium Programs require applicants to learn Chinese for a year before you can proceed to applying.

Each school has requirements and criteria every applicant must have before being considered for admission.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like