Free online medical billing and coding certification programs are becoming more popular as many people are taking an interest in the profession.
Medical billers and coders are as important as other healthcare professionals as they assign codes to injuries, illnesses, diagnoses, and treatments and prepare bills for patients and insurance companies.
To become a medical biller and coder, you must have knowledge of anatomy, physiology, health insurance, medical terminologies, and medical coding systems and standards.
These free online medical billing and coding certification programs will help you acquire skills and knowledge to stand out in the market and prepare you for more certification exams.
There are no tough requirements so that anyone can take these programs.
Free Online Medical Billing and Coding Certification Courses
Below are some of the free online medical billing and coding programs that you can enroll in:
- Basics of Medical Billing & Coding by Free Medical Billing Training
- Introduction to Medical Coding Course (I2MC) by Absolute Medical Coding Institute
- Introduction to Medical Coding and Billing Udemy Learning Platform
- Medical Billing and Coding (MB&CC) by MedicalBillingandCoding.org
- Cybersecurity in Healthcare by Erasmus University Rotterdam via Coursera
- Medical Billing & Coding Certification by Baltimore City Community College
- Certified Professional Biller (CPB) by American Academy of Professional Coders
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Outpatient Coder (COC) Certification by American Academy of Professional Coders
- Certified Cardiology Coder (CCC)
- AI and Big Data in Global Health Improvement by Taipei Medical University via Future Learn
- Dual CPC and CPB Certification
- Certified Inpatient Coder (CIC)
- Certified Risk Adjustment Coder (CRC)
- Ambulatory Surgery Center Coder (CASCC)
- Certified Anesthesia and Pain Management Coder (CANPC)
- Certified Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery Coder (CCVTC)
- Certified Emergency Department Coder (CEDC)
- Certified Evaluation and Management Coder (CEMC)
- Certified Family Practice Coder (CFPC
- Certified Gastroenterology Coder (CGIC)
- Certified Professional Coder in Dermatology (CPCD)
1. Basics of Medical Billing & Coding by Free Medical Billing Training
The Basics of Medical Billing & Coding certification program is a free certification program that focuses on the fundamentals of billing and coding in the healthcare industry.
Students are taught different coding systems, like ICD-10-CM, CPT, and HCPCS.
At the end of the program, students can work in hospitals, clinics, insurance companies, and physician’s offices to ensure these medical professionals get enough payment for their service.
In contrast, the patients get the best medical bill.
This online program has presentation materials, video lessons, and essential medical office forms that students can study at their own pace.
Topics in the program curriculum include:
- What is Medical Billing
- Billing and Coding Terminology
- Health Insurance Plans
- Introduction to Medical Coding
- Creating and Submitting Claims
- Fraud Abuse and Privacy
- When Claims Do Not Get Paid
- Applying for Payments
- Billing and Coding Career Options.
2. Introduction to Medical Coding Course (I2MC) by Absolute Medical Coding Institute
The Absolute Medical Coding Institute gives out this free online course to teach the fundamentals of ICD-10-CM and CPT coding for assigning codes to patients’ records.
This online program is for people interested in learning medical coding, people who wish to learn the foundations of medical coding, and those who want to know if medical coding is the right profession for them.
Students have 8 weeks to complete the program curriculum and its topics:
- ICD-10-CM Guidelines
- Signs, Symptoms, and Diagnoses of Different Ailments.
- ICD-10-CM Basic Coding
- Medical Terminology
- Introduction to CPT
- CPT Coding
- HCPCS Level II and Coding Modifiers
- All About the Business of Medicine
- Medical Anatomy
3. Introduction to Medical Coding and Billing Udemy Learning Platform
The Udemy learning platform offers this free online introductory course on medical billing and coding to help students get an overview of the responsibilities of a medical biller and coder.
At the end of the course, students can learn how to assign codes using ICD-10-CM, CPT, and HCPCS.
The course has 6 sections and 33 lectures, including videos. People interested in getting a career as a medical biller and coder can take this certification program.
This certification program has contents like:
- Introduction to Medical Coder’s Tasks and Medical Biller’s Tasks
- Tasks of a Medical Coder: ICD-10-CM Coder
- Tasks of Medical Biller and Coders: CPT and HCPCS
- Medical Coding Case Studies
- Claims Processing
- Final Assessment
4. Medical Billing and Coding (MB&CC) by MedicalBillingandCoding.org
This free online medical billing and coding certification program focuses on the terminology and basic principles of medical billing and coding to help prepare students for more certification exams.
The program has 5 sections with free resources like videos, a free e-textbook, health insurance guides, written information, free study tools, and a list of medical billing and coding schools you can access for more certification programs.
The sections in the program curriculum are:
- What is Medical Billing and Coding?
- What is Medical Billing?
- Medical Billing and Coding at Work
- What is Medical Coding?
- Advice for Medical Billers and Coders
- Certification Prep
5. Cybersecurity in Healthcare by Erasmus University Rotterdam via Coursera
Erasmus University Rotterdam offers this certification program through the Coursera learning platform to teach students a basic understanding of cybersecurity in healthcare and the challenges they may face.
Medical billers and coders work with patients’ confidential and sensitive information, so a knowledge of cybersecurity in healthcare is essential.
This program is 100% online, with a certificate students will get when they complete the curriculum.
You do not need previous experience or cybersecurity knowledge to take the course.
The course syllabus has topics like:
- Cybersecurity in Healthcare: technology, data, and human behavior
- Social aspects of cybersecurity: social engineering and social media
- Data breaches, hackers, and malware in healthcare
- Cyber hygiene: practices to improve cybersecurity
- Security culture: creating a positive environment to practice cybersecurity
6. Medical Billing & Coding Certification by Baltimore City Community College
The Baltimore City Community College offers this program to teach students the basic keys to becoming professional hospital billing clerks.
This program is designed to prepare students for the Certified Medical Reimbursement Specialist (CMRS) certification exam from the American Medical Billing Association (AMBA).
The program module has courses like:
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy and Physiology
- ICD Coding
- CPT Coding
- Medical Billing
The basic requirements for this program are a pass in the reading assessment, basic knowledge of Microsoft Office, and successful completion of the Anatomy and Physiology tests.
7. Certified Professional Biller (CPB) by American Academy of Professional Coders
Through this program, the American Academy of Professional Coders teaches students all aspects of patients’ and payers’ billings and collections.
At the end of the program, students can submit claims that are in line with insurance policies and government regulations.
To take this course, you must have a basic knowledge of anatomy, physiology, medical terminology, insurance policies, government regulations, healthcare regulations, and codes procedures like CPT, ICD-10-CM, and HCPCS Level II.
8. Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
The Certified Professional Coder (CPC) focuses on the use of medical codes in the healthcare industry.
Students will learn how to perform the job of a professional coder who only specializes in coding diagnoses and treatments from doctors, nurses, physician assistants, and other medical professionals.
The program has topics like:
- Understanding of anatomy and physiology
- Medical terminology
- Integrating medical coding and payment policy changes into a practice’s reimbursement processes.
- Assigning CPT, HCPCS Level II, and ICD-10-CM medical codes for diagnoses and procedures.
9. Certified Outpatient Coder (COC) Certification by American Academy of Professional Coders
This free online medical billing and coding certification program from the American Academy of Professional Coders focuses on students who want to work as medical coders in outpatient facilities.
Students will have a knowledge of ambulatory payment classifications (APCs) and payment status indicators and how to classify Medicare severity-diagnosis-related groups (MS-DRGs).
At the end of the online program, students can work in facilities like:
- Outpatient radiology departments
- Hospital emergency departments and centers
- Outpatient cancer centers
- Outpatient hospital clinics
- Ambulatory surgery centers
- Dialysis service centers
- Outpatient therapy departments
10. Certified Cardiology Coder (CCC)
The Certified Cardiology Coder (CCC) is for students who wish to assign codes (ICD-10-CM, CPT, and HCPCS Level II ) to heart surgical procedures like peripheral vascular procedures, heart catheterization, pacemakers, and others.
Students will learn the following:
- Applying correct ICD-10-CM codes, CPT® codes, HCPCS Level II codes, and their modifiers.
- Understanding of evaluation and management (E/M) guidelines for hospital services.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations for Medicare billing
- Coding of cardiological ancillary and surgical procedures
- Anatomy and physiology
- Medical Terminology
Online Classes for Medical Billing and Coding with Free Laptops
Some online medical billing and coding classes give out free laptops to students who register for their programs. These classes include:
1. Medical Billing and Coding (Includes CBCS)
This online class teaches students how to prepare medical billings, submit bills to insurance companies and review coding procedures while meeting healthcare standards.
Medical coding focuses on three major coding systems like ICD, CPT, and HCPCS; you will also learn how to assign accurate codes to each diagnosis.
You will also learn how to prepare bills, reimbursement methodologies, and regulatory issues.
The program outline has topics like Introduction to Medical Terminology, Anatomy, and Physiology, Health Insurance Specialist Career, Processing an Insurance Claim, Legal and Regulatory Issues, Medical Coding Systems, Communications in a Medical Office, Medical Records Management, Billing and Collecting, and many more.
The program provides students with free laptops for learning and practicing.
2. Medical Coding Course (CPC PREP) by Learn Medical Coding LLC
The Learn Medical Coding LLC offers this program to help students prepare for the CPC exams.
Students learn actual coding procedures, how to read medical reports, a thorough review of coding guidelines, and how to code efficiently; other topics students will learn are how to identify ICD-10-CM codes and first list diagnosis.
The class has a limited number of students, and this gives students hands-on experience. There is a free laptop for each student that will register for the class.
3. Medical Billing and Coding by YTI Career Institute (YTI)
The YTI Career Institute (YTI) teaches students how to create medical records and code in formats like ICD-10-CM/PCS, CPT, and HCPCS.
Students will also learn how to manage insurance claims and communicate with patients or third parties in medical terminology. The program comes with a free laptop and is fully online.
Some of the topics students will learn in the program are Coding and Classification Systems, Anatomy and Medical Terminology, Medical Billing and Coding Simulation, Reimbursement Methods, CPT/HCPCS Coding C, PCS Coding, and Medical Office Administration.
At the end of this online program, students will be ready to take the Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC).
What Kind of Computer Do I Need for Medical Billing and Coding?
Medical Billers and Coders spend most of their time sitting in front of a computer each day, so they must get the best computer for efficiency and user capacity.
You do not have to get a bulky computer as they take up most of the space and leave your desk with little space; you only need a bigger monitor or a curved screen to increase the field of vision.
Also, it is advisable to get a desktop unless you are mobile. Laptops strain your eyes, shoulders, neck, and back if you work long hours.
But you can use some excellent laptops for medical billing and coding. Some of the best kind of computer needed for medical billing and coding include:
- ASUS ZenBook Duo 14
- Galaxy Chromebook Mercury Gray
- Dell 2022 XPS 15 9520 Laptop
- Acer Swift 5 Intel Evo Thin & Light Laptop
- Microsoft Surface Laptop 4
- HP Spectre Folio
- ASUS VivoBook Pro 16 Laptop
- MSI GF63 Thin 9RCX-615
- Lenovo – 2022 – IdeaPad Gaming 3
- Razer Blade 15 Advanced
- HP Spectre x360
- Acer Aspire Vero AV15-51-7617
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus S17
- HP Pavilion x360 14 2-in-1
- Huawei MateBook X Pro
- Lenovo Yoga 730 2-in-1 Touchscreen
- Apple MacBook Air
These computers have at least 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7, Windows 10 Home, WiFi, RGB display, and many more amazing features that will make medical billing and coding easier.
There are many free online medical billing and coding certification programs you can study to start your career as a medical biller and coder.
Note; some of these programs come with free laptops to help students get faster hands-on experience.
This article also listed some computers with fantastic specifications that are best for medical billing and coding; you can make your choice from the list.