Are you interested in seeing the list of the ongoing 2023 scholarships for minorities? Will you also love to apply for fully-funded minority scholarship?
If yes, then I will be discussing with you about some of the minorities scholarships that you can get easily. This scholarships are given to minorities from any part of the World.
Check also: 6 ways to study abroad for free in 2023
Who is a Minority?
Minority simply means fewer in numbers than the main groups of these classifications, examples are race, ethnicity, religion, etc. You must be planning to pursue a career in technology.
They are also minority groups which refers to group of people whose practices, ethnicity, are fewer in numbers than the main groups.
Minority group members may lack access to social life, housing, employment, education and healthcare because of the lack of development in the area.
Also, minority groups often face discrimination in multiple areas of life due to their numbers.
Common Challenges faced by Minorities in School
There are reasons why minority students are assigned special scholarship programs. Some of the outstanding reasons why minority students are offered special scholarships is because of their challenges and some of such challenges include:
- Inability to pay fees
- Transitioning from high school to college.
- Monoculture Curricula
- Professors Attitude
- Institutional Racism
- Cultural Conflict
- Lack of Support Service
- Lack of Socialization
- Lack of Motivation
As a minority student you eligible for federal financial aid like the Pell grant, loans etc. Some schools used it to award need based scholarships.
The United States had changes some patterns that had been occurring to minority student since the 1960s in which it has help in growing the population of ethnic and racial minority students in American Universities.
The National Center For Education Statistics in 1997, has given an analysis of 27% of the total college enrollment at degree granting institutions of the Hispanic students, African American, Pacific Islander Students and Native American students.
In which the breaking down of percentage for African American is about 11%, Hispanic students is about 9%, Pacific Islander Students is 6%, and the Native American which is about 1%.
According to the U.S statistics in respect to education, the number of minority student increases rapidly between the year 1976 and 1998 and the numbers of bachelor’s degrees awarded to minority students increased as follows;
- Native American (3,326 to 7,894)
- African Americans (58,636 to 98,132)
- Pacific Islander Students (13,793 to 71,592)
- Hispanic Students (18,743 to 65,937)
The analysis in 1997 shows that about 19.4% of bachelor’s degree were awarded to minority students then in 1998 also, about 20.5% of bachelor’s degree were awarded to minority students.
Who is Qualified for a Minority Scholarship?
There are different types of minority scholarships which provide funding to various ethnic backgrounds such as Asian, Latinos, African American, Native Americans etc.
The major group of students that are qualified for minority scholarships are scholarships for students who do not belong to any regional’s or nation’s majority racial or ethnic group.
This include students that are subject to discrimination, and racial difference that can affect their educational achievement.
Note: some awards are for high schools senior who is entering the university/college as freshmen. And also Hispanic Scholarships are based on merit and you must be a Hispanic heritage.
Benefits of Getting a Scholarship as a Minority
There are so many benefits of getting a scholarship and it’s the same in this case. Below are some outstanding benefits of getting a minority scholarship:
- It’s helps makes college affordable for students (especially from a poor background)
- Award are given to student based on merit or on their financial background (you can get financial support if you have a financial need information on your FAFSA while merits is based on academic performance). Awards can also be given to college student who are pursuing a bachelor’s degree. Awards can also be given to master’s student or PhD.
- As a minority student, you can use funds to help pay for college cost which includes room, fees, tuition and board along with books and supplies.
Why Minority Students Should Apply for Scholarships?
Maybe you may be in a dilemma of whether to or not apply for a minority scholarship, but the truth is, it worth it. Below are few reasons to apply for a scholarship as a minority student.
- It is better than borrowing or obtaining loan
- Scholarships programs usually offers mentoring, networking and real life experience
- The more scholarship you apply, the more rewards
Requirements and Criteria for Getting a Minority Scholarship
Just like every other scholarships, minority students are expected to meet some outstanding criteria to be eligible for a scholarship. Below are few of such requirements:
- Leadership work
- Specific GPA ( like 3.0, 3.50 etc.)
- Proof of U.S citizen or legal permanent resident
- Unmet Financial Need
- Specific Student Group
List of Scholarships for Minorities in 2023
Below are 13 scholarships for minority students in 2023:
- The Hubertus W.V. Willems Scholarship
- NYWIC Esperanza Scholarship
- Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholarship
- Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship
- Ron Brown Scholars Program
- James W. Stoudt Memorial Law School Scholarship
- Lagrant Foundation Graduate Scholarship
- UNCF / Koch Undergraduate Scholars Program
- ABA Diversity Scholarship
- ESPN Scholarship
- AICPA Fellowship for Minority Doctoral Students
- HBCU Connect Minority Student Scholarship
- Young Hispanic Professional Association of Austin Scholarship Fund
Note the following:
1. The Hubertus W.V. Willems scholarship for Male Students offers up to 40 awards. Each award worth $3,000.
This is from the NAACP to encourage African- American students studying STEM to pursue a college education.
2. The NYWIC Esperanza Scholarship is for the Hispanic women in the journalism field
3. The Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship is for the black undergraduate students.
College Award Programs for Minority Students
There are programs for minority students on campus, the programs helps in enlightening the minority students and it is divided into two groups which are;
- Campus Based Programs
As the name implies, these program is based and organised by the institute bodies of the college in which it’s work is to address the issues of academic and social challenges that minority students face on campuses.
And also to address inequalities among ethnic groups in the university. With the help of this program, you can have access to councilors that will advise you on what to do as a minority student.
- Federal Funded Programs
In 1975, a federal Funded program was establish to support the Upward Bound Program, the upward Bound Program is designed to assist the disadvantage students enroll in and graduate from postsecondary institutions.
The Upward Bound initiative target youth of the age of thirteen and nineteen years who has experience low academic success.
The federal government provides program in other to help the minorities in terms of scholarships, motivations etc.
Those are some of the available scholarships for minorities 2023. Meanwhile, I shall continue to update more minority scholarships on this page.